Easy Indian: Vegetable Pakoras
From what I can tell, pakora is veggies or meat, deep fried in a batter of besan(chickpea) flour and spices. I’ve had some that are not so great, but the ones I love are an assortment of veggies, loosely massed together and fried. So here goes:
First combine chickpea flour with turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, salt and coriander.
Next add your water and mix, then set aside for 20 minutes or so. Thinly slice your cabbage and onion and then cut cauliflower into small peices. Obviously the idea is that the veggies have to be small enough to hold together but large enough that there is texture.
Cook your potato, then peel and roughly chop it. It will act as sort of the glue that holds everything together along with the batter.
Heat your oil to about 375f. You should use a thermometer but I dont have one, so I just make sure that the oil is hot enough that when you put a small bit of something it starts bubbling. You’ll need to monitor it though because you dont want the oil getting too hot or too cold.
Take all of your veggies and place in the bowl with the batter. Mix so that everything is coated, then carefully take a small amount, maybe 2 tablesoons of the mix and drop into the oil. It should loosely hold together, but if this takes you a few tries, thats ok! The first couple are never perfect anyway.
- 1 1/2 Cups Chickpea(Besan) Flour
- 3/4 Tsp Turmeric, Chili, Garlic, Garam Masala, Coriander
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 Small Potato
- 1/4 Cauliflower, Chopped
- 1/4 Cabbage, Chopped
- 1/2 Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 Litre Grapeseed Oil, for cooking
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt
- 1/4 Cucumber, chopped
- Mix flour, spices, salt, oil, and water. Set aside for 20 minutes
- Thinly slice onion and cabbage. Roughly chop caulifower. Steam or boil potato until 90% cooked.
- Remove potato skin and roughly chop it.
- Add your veggies to the batter mix and coat everything evenly.
- Heat oil to 375F(180C), or about medium on your stove.
- Spoon about 2 Tbl of the mix carefully into the oil. You can fit a few in at a time but don\'t overcrowd.
- Cook until golden on both sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Drain on some kitchen paper/paper towel.
- Serve hot with the cucumber and yogurt.