First take your beef roast and cut into 3/4 inch peices. Make a bouquet garni using Parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Next add the red wine, beef, and herbs to a heavy pot or bowl, and refrigerate for as long as possible(even overnight). When its done marinating, remove the beef and pat dry. Reserve the wine and herbs in a separate container.
Next, dice your onion, garlic, shallots, carrots, and slice your mushrooms. Add the onion, carrot and shallots into the pot that you browned the beef in. Let sweat on low heat until soft. In a separate pan, and garlic and mushrooms and saute on medium until golden brown, then set aside. Add tomato paste to the onion mixture, then add the beef back in, as well as the wine, herbs, and beef stock.
Place in a 170C oven for approximately 2 hours. Add in the mushrooms after the first hour and taste for seasoning. I served it with some crispy roast potatoes, but you could also serve with pasta, or just some crusty bread. Enjoy!
- 1.5K Beef Roast, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 2 Onion, diced
- 2 Shallots, diced
- 3 Cloves garlic, diced
- 2 1/2 C Red Wine
- 500g Mushrooms
- 1 Tbl Tomato Paste
- 2 C Beef Stock
- Small Bunch Flat leaf parsley
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 2Tbl Bay Leaves
- Flour, for coating
- Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper for cooking
- Cut beef into peices. Add to a large container with the herbs, and add red wine.
- Marinate for at least a few hours.or overnight.
- Remove beef and pat dry. reserve wine and herbs. Heat a heavy bottomed pan and brown beef.
- This can be done in batches.
- Next dice, carrot, onion,shallot, garlic, and quarter or slice mushrooms.
- Add carrot, onion and shallot to the pot that you browned the beef in. Sweat on low heat.
- In a separate pan, saute mushrooms and garlic until brown. Set aside.
- Add tomato paste to the onion mix. Stir.
- Add beef, stock, wine, and herbs into the pot. Heat to a simmer, then place in oven on 170C.
- Cook for approximately 2 hours. After the first hour, add the mushroom mix and taste.
- Season if needed(I added quite a bit of pepper).
- Serve with potatoes, pasta, or crusty bread.