Chicken and Vegetable Soup with Pesto
Next dice up the bacon and chicken, and saute in a hot enamel pot with some olive oil. Once the chicken is cooked through, and your onion, celery and carrot. Cook for a few minutes until the veggies soften a bit.
Add the rest of the veggies, your stock, and a bay leaf. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed. Cook for about 10-15 minutes at a simmer, until the potato and parsnip are fork tender.
Serve with a dollop of fresh pesto(here’s the recipe if you need it), or use storebought if you can’t find basil. Here’s the recipe:
Chicken & Vegetable Soup with Pesto
- 2 Medium parsnips, trimmed, peeled and diced
- 2 Celery Stalks, diced
- 1 Zucchini or summer squash
- 1 medium carrrot
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 Head of broccoli(1.5 cups)
- 2 small potatoes
- 2 Bacon Rashers, diced
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 1 Litre Chicken or Veg stock
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper for cooking
- Dice all veggies and set aside.
- Dice chicken and bacon, and add to hot enamel pot with olive oil.
- Saute until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add your onion, celery and carrot.
- Cook for a few more minutes, then add the rest of the veegies, stock and bay leaf.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until potato and parsnip are cooked through.
- Serve with a dollop of fresh pesto.