Sauteed Beet Greens with Garlic & Onion
First you need to rinse them really really well. They will probably have mass amounts of dirt and grit, so unless you like eating grit I would soak them and then use your salad spinner to clean these babies.
When they are nice and clean, add some spinach( it balances out the stronger flavour of the greens).
Start by sauteing some red onion and garlic in a saute pan. Once they are softened, start adding the greens and spinach. You might have to add them in batches as they wilt down…
Add your stock and some nutmeg, and saute until wilted, which should just take a few minutes. At the very last minute just add a pat of butter to give it a bit of richness. This is a really delicious side to add to your dinner regimine.
Sauteed Beet Greens with Spinach
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 Bunch Beet Greens
- 1 Bag Spinach(about 6 oz)
- 1/4 Large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Garlic clove, diced
- 3 Tbl Vegetable Stock
- 1 Tbl Butter
- 1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper
- Trim your greens from the stalk, and wash thouroughly(you may have to wash them twice)
- Rinse well. Slice onion and chop garlic and saute until soft on medium heat.
- Begin adding greens and spinach in batches. Add nutmeg.
- Once all the greens are in the pan, add your veg stock and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add butter, and remove from heat.
- Serve hot.