Roast Beet Linguine with Oyster Mushrooms & Parmesan
First roast your beets. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and olive oil, and wrap in foil. cook for about an hour or until you can easily stick a paring knife in.
Add the eggs, flour and beet puree to a bowl:
Then, like you would normally do, take your index finger and start swirling the egg mix, slowly incorporating the flour. When it has come together, place the dough on a floured surface and knead for a few minutes until it comes together.
Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about an hour.
While the pasta is resting you can cook the mushrooms. These are oyster mushrooms, the only carnivorous mushroom:
So saute for a few minutes, then finely dice 2 cloves of garlic and add to the pan, turning it down to medium low. Now cook the mushrooms for about 25-30 minutes. The butter will take on a nutty flavour and the garlic and mushrooms become sweet and fragrant, absolutely delicious!
Now take your pasta dough out. Cut in half and roll in thin enough to fit through a pasta roller..here I made linguine size:
Roasted Beet Linguine with Oyster Mushrooms
Yield: Serves 2
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Cups Pasta Flour
- 1/2 Cup Beet Puree(from 3 medium Beetroot)
- 150g Oyster mushrooms
- 3 Tbl Butter
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Parmesan & Pepper to taste.
- Roast beets at about 180C covered in foil for 45-60 minutes or until knife tender. Let cool.
- Peel beetroot and blend until smooth and you have 1/2 a cup of puree.
- Add flour, egg and beet puree to a bowl and slowly start incorporating flour, using a swirling motion.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and knead for a few minutes until a smooth dough is formed.
- Wrap in plastic and put in fridge for about an hour.
- Slice mushrooms and add to a medium high pan with some of the butter and brown for a few min.
- Chop garlic and turn pan down to medium low. Add garlic to pan with mushrooms.
- Add the remaining butter and cook for about 25-30 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden.
- Using about half the dough, roll out with a pasta roller, and then roll into linguine.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes in salted water. Drain and add the mushrooms and butter.
- Top with shaved parmesan and lack pepper.