This is a quick side dish that combines the delicate anise flavour of fennel, and the tartness of orange.
First trim the ends off the fennel, and quarter them(but save the fennel fronds).
Place on a tray or shallow dish, and add zest of 1/2 an orange, and half the juice as well. Add Olive oil, salt and pepper, and cover loosely. You want the fennel to actually cook in the liquid, not roast.
Cook for about 25 minutes or until soft. Add a splash more orange juice and seasoning, and that’s it!
Note: If you have bigger bulbs of fennel, the outer lay will be tough so you may want to discard it.
Here’s the Recipe:
Orange Braised Fennel
- 3-4 Small Fennel bulbs, trimmed and quartered
- 1 Orange, zest and juice
- 1Tbl Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Trim fennel and quarter. Reserve fennel fronds for garnish.
- Zest 1/2-1 whole orange depending on the size of the orange.
- Juice about half the orange, again depending on the size.
- Add fennel, orange juice and zest, olive oil, salt and pepper to baking tray or dish and loosely cover
- Bake on 180C for about 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Finish with a bit more zest, fennel fronds, salt and pepper.