This frittata is simply divine. Leeks are amazing and underused, so you should definitely try them if you havent before. They have a sweet, mild oniony flavour and are great with eggs, or in soups.
Simply cut the leek in half lengthwise and rinse under cold water(leeks are grown in sandy soil, so you need to rinse them):
Saute for a few minutes on medium heat, then add anything additional(I added some sliced mushrooms, garlic, and peas), and cook for another couple minutes.
At this point you should preheat the oven or broiler to about 200C
Right before you add the eggs, break the goat cheese into tiny little peices and sprinkle over the pan as evenly as possible.
Now add your eggs(that you have beaten and seasoned), and then any cheese you want to add, then turn heat to low and cook until the bottom is set. Place in your oven and cook until the top is golden and bubbly:
Cut into wedges, and serve with a green salad. Top each slice with smoked salmon(or prosciutto for salmon haters).
Here’s the Recipe:
Leek and Goat Cheese Frittata with Smoked Salmon
- 4 Fresh Eggs
- 1 Leek, thinly sliced
- 4oz Smoked salmon
- 3/4 Cup Mix of Mushrooms, peas, garlic or other
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Cheese(parmesan, mozz, or other)
- 3 Tbl Goat Cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil for cooking
- Slice leek and rinse, then slice thinly. Add to pan and saute on medium-med/low for 5 minutes
- Add additional veggies and saute until soft.
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Sprinkle goat cheese over frittata evenly.
- Beat eggs in separate bowl, season,then add to pan.
- Add any additional cheese
- Cook for 5 minutes until nearly set
- Place into oven and cook until top is golden and bubbly, about 7-10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, top each piece with smoked salmon, and serve with green salad.